The biggest story on MI Pro this week was our ‘Best of Musikmesse 2017’ roundup, featuring pictures, videos, new gear announcements and award winners from this year’s trade show.
Also big this week was the news that Etihad Airways has banned musical instruments as carry on luggage unless the passenger buys and extra seat, and Andertons’ April Fools fundraiser for Teenage Cancer Trust.
Read all the biggest stories below:
1. The best of Musikmesse 2017: Pictures, videos, new gear and award winners
Musikmesse was back last week for another huge show in Frankfurt, bringing the latest MI gear to the trade and consumers.
Article continues below
2. Etihad Airways bans musical instruments in the cabin unless you buy an extra seat
Eithad Airways has announced changes to its hand baggage policy, banning any musical instrument from being taken in the cabin unless the passanger buys an extra seat for it.
3. Andertons' April Fools event raises over £2,000 for Teenage Cancer Trust
Guilford retailer Andertons Music used April Fools to create a hoax pedal with Wampler Pedals and raised lots of money for charity in the process.
4. Musikmesse 2017: Pons Guitars showcases world's first guitar with an interchangeable body
Pons Guitars has introduced the Pons Revolution – an instrument with a modular body that can be swapped out in “next to no time”.
5. Anatomy of an Instrument: The Banjo
For some people, hearing the banjo reminds them of disturbing scenes from the film Deliverence, for others, they reminisce about the tongue-in-cheek ditties from George Formby and his banjolele. More recently, for many the banjo can be heard in modern folk music from the likes of Mumford and Sons.
6. Musikmesse and Prolight + Sound 2017 saw visitors from 144 countries
Messe Frankfurt has revealed the visitor figures for this year’s Musikmesse and Prolight + Sound trade fairs.
7. Richard Johnstone joins Focusrite as UK Sales and Marketing Manager
Focusrite has announced the appointment of Richard Johnstone as its new UK sales and marketing manager.
8. Musikmesse 2017: Yamaha upgrades iconic S series with new SX grand piano
Yamaha has given its iconic S series a technological boost with it’s latest offering – the SX grand, which was revealed at this year’s Musikmesse.
9. Naomi Pohl becomes the MU's first female Assistant General Secretary
The Musicians’ Union (MU) has appointed Naomi Pohl has its new assistant general secretary. She is the first woman to join the MU’s team of senior officials in the Union’s history.
10. New Power Grid 10 unveiled by Friedman Amps
Friedman Amplification has unveiled the new Power Grid 10 pedal power supply.